Go to the Labyrinth of East London Lore


Waterloo Square

A wetland in the original East London

Keith Tankard
Knowledge4Africa.com
Updated: 14 October 2009
(Contact the Project Coordinator)




It is with great sadness that we have to announce that the creator of The Labyrinth of East London Lore, Dr T., has passed away. Helping people through his website gave him no end of pleasure. If you had contact with him and would like to leave a message, please send us an e-mail here.


The village of Panmure was created to settle part of the British German Legion which arrived at East London in 1857.

There was a wetland in the middle of Panmure. When names were given to the various streets of Panmure in 1877, this wetland was given the name Waterloo Square in honour of the battle of Waterloo -- 1815 -- in which both British and German soldiers had participated.

It was believed therefore that this would be something which the English and German settlers at East London had in common.

Eventually the wetland was filled in with rubble and the site was chosen for the construction of the Town Hall in 1898. The new hall opened its doors in 1900.

See also:


Contact: The Project Coordinator