Go to the Labyrinth of East London Lore


Union Street

Keith Tankard
Knowledge4Africa.com
Updated: 14 October 2009
(Contact the Project Coordinator)




It is with great sadness that we have to announce that the creator of The Labyrinth of East London Lore, Dr T., has passed away. Helping people through his website gave him no end of pleasure. If you had contact with him and would like to leave a message, please send us an e-mail here.


Union Street lies in East London's Central Business District.

This part of the town was once known as Panmure, which was established as a village to settle part of the British German Legion which arrived at the port in 1857.

The street was formed and given its name in 1877. It originally marked the northern end of Lieutenant Pomeroy Colley's village of Panmure.

It is probable, therefore, that Union Street acquired its name because it was the union between the old part of the town -- Panmure -- and the new. The name certainly did not come from the Act of Union which would only happen 33 years after the street had already acquired its name.

In 1881, when East London was divided into three wards, Union Street marked the boundary between the two Municipal Wards on the East Bank (Wards 2 and 3).

See also:


Contact: The Project Coordinator