Go to the Labyrinth of East London Lore


Girls High School
& Clarendon Primary

Keith Tankard
Knowledge4Africa.com
Updated: 14 October 2009
(Contact the Project Coordinator)




It is with great sadness that we have to announce that the creator of The Labyrinth of East London Lore, Dr T., has passed away. Helping people through his website gave him no end of pleasure. If you had contact with him and would like to leave a message, please send us an e-mail here.


Clarendon Primary began its existence in 1903, as part of what was known as Girls High School.

The premises were on the plot of land between Muir and Oxford Streets, currently occupied by Grens Primary but having then just been vacated by an Uitlander refugee camp.

The original school included pupils from Grades 1 to 10 but in 1936 the upper grades were moved to new premises on the corner of Union and Connought Avenues. In 1939 the primary school was also moved, to Cheltenham Road where it exists today.

The name "Clarendon" was bequeathed to the two schools in 1959, named after Lord Clarendon who was the Governor-General of South Africa. In 1962, the pre-primary section of the school broke away to become a separate institution.

See also:


Contact: The Project Coordinator