Go to the Labyrinth of East London Lore


Gately House
Museum

Keith Tankard
Knowledge4Africa.com
Updated: 14 October 2009
(Contact the Project Coordinator)




It is with great sadness that we have to announce that the creator of The Labyrinth of East London Lore, Dr T., has passed away. Helping people through his website gave him no end of pleasure. If you had contact with him and would like to leave a message, please send us an e-mail here.


John Gately -- born in Roscommon (Ireland) in 1829 -- took up residence at East London in about 1862 where he became an entrepreneur and an important figure in the growth of the town over the next 50 years.

It was he who was instrumental in the formation of a municipality in 1873, was the first Chairman of the Municipal Board and would later serve as Mayor on seven occasions.

The House was build in 1876 and was lived in by the Gately family until 1966, when his last surviving child (Margaret) died. Margaret donated the entire contents of the house to the East London Museum.

Through persistent efforts of the Border Historical Society and the East London Museum's Board of Trustees, Gately House was saved from demolition and retained as East London's Town House. It was declared a National Monument in 1973.

Gately House is today part of the museum and is open for visits. Contact the museum for details.

See also:


Contact: The Project Coordinator