Go to the Labyrinth of East London Lore


Fleet Street
East London

Keith Tankard
Knowledge4Africa.com
Updated: 14 October 2009
(Contact the Project Coordinator)




It is with great sadness that we have to announce that the creator of The Labyrinth of East London Lore, Dr T., has passed away. Helping people through his website gave him no end of pleasure. If you had contact with him and would like to leave a message, please send us an e-mail here.


Fleet Street in East London's Central Business District was given its name in 1877.

It was designed as part of Lieutenant Pomeroy Colley's map of Panmure in 1857 but it only stretched between what became known as Station and Buffalo Streets.

In 1899, however, the road was extended into the Quigney when it was decided to lay a tram track from the town to the Beach.

For this purpose a bridge had to be built over the Quigney River, and Fleet Street was then extended as far as what later became known as Currie Street.

See also:


Contact: The Project Coordinator