Buxton Street is in the Central Business District of East London, or what was once known as Panmure.
The street was first constructed in 1877, and was given the German name "Berlin Street" in honour
of the German settlers -- the British-German Legion and the German agricultural immigrants -- who
had arrived at East London in 1857 and 1858, many of whom had settled in that part of the town.
In 1914, however, when anti-German sentiment became strong at East London because of the outbreak
of the Great War, Berlin Street was renamed "Buxton Street" after Lord Buxton who had become
Governor General of South Africa in that year.