It is with great sadness that we have to announce that the creator of The Labyrinth of East London Lore, Dr T., has passed away. Helping people through his website gave him no end of pleasure. If you had contact with him and would like to leave a message, please send us an e-mail here.

Go to the Labyrinth of East London Lore


Terminus Street


Terminus Street in the Central Business District of East London owes its name to its proximity to the railway station.

Although the original East London was on the West Bank, another village called Panmure was established in 1857 to settle part of the British German Legion.

Initially a poor village, it quickly transformed into the business part of the town when construction began on the East London to Queenstown railway in 1873 and the terminus was situated at Panmure.

The station was placed at the junction of Terminus and Station Streets.

Keith Tankard
14 October 2009



See also:


Contact: The Project Coordinator