It is with great sadness that we have to announce that the creator of The Labyrinth of East London Lore, Dr T., has passed away. Helping people through his website gave him no end of pleasure. If you had contact with him and would like to leave a message, please send us an e-mail here.

Go to the Labyrinth of East London Lore


Fort Glamorgan


Fort Glamorgan was established at the mouth of the Buffalo River in 1848 to house troops and to guard the start of the supply line to King Williams Town. It was named for Lord Charles Somerset's father, the Earl of Glamorgan.

The original fort consisted of a loop-holed stone wall which surrounded barrack accommodation for soldiers and officers, forage stores and stabling, a hospital and cookhouses.

The original powder magazine was outside the precinct of the fort, but it was realised that this was useless and so one was constructed inside the grounds in 1856. This still exists in good condition as it has been well maintained by the Dept of Correctional Services.

The powder magazine is built of dolerite blocks and has an arched roof of brick, surrounded by a high stone wall with a small guard house attached. On the outside is a round-topped stone with WD and an arrow incised.

This is one of the original four perimeter stones, which were situated to indicate the boundary corners of the military rayon. None of the other buildings remain, but the profusion of stone for supporting walls etc. was taken from the original fort.

Fort Glamorgan was handed over to the Colonial Prisons' Department in the 1880s. It was proclaimed a National Monument in 1938.

Gill Vernon
14 October 2009



See also:


Contact: The Project Coordinator